Getting Ahead in a Just Gettin’ By World is a community-style workshop designed to help you move beyond thinking about making a change to doing it. During the 16-week course, you will create an individualized plan to reach your goal of a stable, secure life. You’ll work with a team of mentors to to build more resources and make a positive difference in your life.
Getting Ahead in a Just Gettin’ By World will help you:
- Find your strengths
- Share your experience
- Learn from others
- Become financially secure
And have a better tomorrow!
All participants receive:
Free meals during work sessions
A monetary stipend for attending each session
Free child care during work sessions
The course will be co-facilitated by former graduates of the program. Getting Ahead in a Just Gettin’ By World will empower you to:
- Investigate/examine the impact of poverty on your life
- Be a valued member of the community contributing to solving community problems
- Stabilize your living situation and build your resources
- Support and challenge others as they investigate their lives and build their resources.
- Work with SVDP, MCUH and other local mentors who will serve as bridging capital and offer problem solving support
- Develop YOUR future story (your personal plan) and a strategy for living outside of the grasp of “the tyranny of the moment”.
Armed with your personal plan and the mentoring support, you will take the steps you know will change your life.
Mount Carmel Urban Health (MCUH) and the Society of St. Vincent de Paul (SVDP) are teaming up to sponsor the Getting Ahead in a Just Gettin’ by World course. This course will meet starting the week of October 22 through January 2019 and conclude with a graduation ceremony. The weekly workshops will be held at the Marion-Franklin Opportunity Center, 2740 Lockbourne Road, Columbus, OH 43207. Days and times of the workshop are pending and will depend on participant’s availability.